Zesty Whole Grain and Vegetable Salad
I love whole grains, but could find very few recipes with sorghum. I had some vegetables from the garden and decided to throw a few things together. It was delicious! Other grains and vegetables can be added depending on what you have on hand.
By : Cheryl
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup whole grain sorghum
- 2 medium whole (2-3/5″ dia) (blank)s tomatoes, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro, or to taste
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup light Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Step 1 Combine water and sorghum in a small pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until sorghum is tender yet firm to the bite, about 1 hour. Drain any excess water and cool, about 10 minutes.
- Step 2 Transfer sorghum to a large bowl. Add tomatoes, celery, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and garlic; toss to combine. Stir in Italian dressing and lemon juice. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill before serving, about 30 minutes.
I Made It Print
Per Serving:226.4 calories; protein 4.9g 10% DV; carbohydrates 46.6g 15% DV; fat 2.5g 4% DV; cholesterol mg; sodium 928.4mg 37%