Serve these honey-sweetened wheat-and-oat buttermilk pancakes with sliced fresh fruit and your favourite flavoured yogurt…
- 1 ½ cups white whole-wheat flour (see Tip)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups unsweetened almond milk or other unsweetened nondairy milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Step 1 Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk milk, applesauce, oil, sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients and whisk just until combined. Resist overmixing–it will make the pancakes tough.
- Step 2 Let the batter sit, without stirring, for 10 to 15 minutes. (As the batter rests, the baking powder forms bubbles that create fluffy pancakes.)
- Step 3 Coat a large nonstick skillet or griddle with cooking spray; heat over medium heat. Without stirring the batter, measure out pancakes using about 1/4 cup batter per pancake and pour into the pan (or onto the griddle). Cook until the edges are dry and you see bubbles on the surface, 2 to 4 minutes. Flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, 2 to 4 minutes more. Repeat with the remaining batter, coating the pan with cooking spray and reducing the heat as needed.
Make-Ahead Tip: The mixture of dry ingredients can be stored airtight for up to 1 month; the batter can be refrigerated for up to 1 day; cooked pancakes can be frozen airtight, in a single layer, for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or oven.
Tip: White whole-wheat flour, made from a special variety of white wheat, is light in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour.
Serving Size: 2 (4-Inch) Pancakes Per Serving:174.4 calories; protein 5.8g 12% DV; carbohydrates 26.8g 9% DV; exchange other carbs 2; dietary fiber 3.4g 13% DV; sugars 3.4g; fat 5.6g 9% DV; saturated fat 4.1g 20% DV; cholesterolmg; vitamin a iu 128.1IU 3% DV; vitamin c 0.1mg; folate 6.4mcg 2% DV; calcium 165.4mg 17% DV; iron 4.5mg 25% DV; magnesium 10.5mg 4% DV; potassium 123.7mg 4% DV; sodium 281mg 11% DV; added sugar 2g.Exchanges:
1 1/2 Starch, 1 Fat