Yummy Strawberries and Cream Pancakes
Quick Link to Healthy Eating Recipes : Breakfast | Dinner | Salad | Snack | Smoothies | Lunch | Low Fat | Quick Bites | Vegetarian | Vegan | Sauces | Kids Recipes | Desserts
Visit us on Facebook : Tropical fish cafe please like, or join Tropical Fish Cafe Group if you are a foodie and into health and fitness.
These strawberry pancakes are a healthy alternative to traditional breakfast pancakes. With ingredients like chia seeds, oat flour and fresh strawberries, they offer nutritious benefits without sacrificing taste.
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup oat flour or oat bran
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds or flax seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups fat-free milk
- ¼ cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed, or 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- ¾ cup whipped Greek cream cheese (see Tip), softened
- 1 tablespoon 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Step 1In a medium bowl combine strawberries, orange peel and 1/4 cup orange juice. Cover and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Step 2In a large bowl stir together flours, seeds, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl use a fork to combine milk, egg and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be slightly lumpy).
- Step 3For each pancake, pour 2 tablespoons batter onto a hot, lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. Spread batter to an even layer if necessary. Cook over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until pancakes are golden brown; turn over when surfaces are bubbly and edges are slightly dry. Keep pancakes warm in a 200 degrees F oven while making the rest.
- Step 4To serve, in a small bowl combine cream cheese and orange juice; spread evenly over pancakes. Top with strawberries.
Tips: We do not recommend using a sugar substitute for this recipe.
If you cannot find the Greek cream cheese, make your own. In a small bowl stir together 1/2 cup softened reduced-fat tub-style cream cheese with 1/4 cup nonfat Greek plain yogurt until smooth.
Serving Size: 2 Pancakes With 1 Tablespoon Cream Cheese And 1/4 Cup StrawberriesPer Serving:157.9 calories; protein 6.1g 12% DV; carbohydrates 22.2g 7% DV; exchange other carbs 1.5; dietary fiber 3.2g 13% DV; sugars 6.6g; fat 5.2g 8% DV; saturated fat 1.3g 7% DV; cholesterol 8.1mg 3% DV; vitamin a iu 244.1IU 5% DV; vitamin c 25.1mg 42% DV; folate 28.2mcg 7% DV; calcium 170.6mg 17% DV; iron 0.9mg 5% DV; magnesium 17.8mg 6% DV; potassium 141.5mg 4% DV; sodium 241.5mg 10% DV.Exchanges:
1 1/2 Starch, 1 Fat