I have kept this recipe a ranch secret, but I have decided to share it.…
Spicy Corn Salad
Jalapeño chile peppers add a pleasant spice to this chilled corn salad. If you like things a bit more spicy, leave in some of the seeds from the peppers.
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels or 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or salad oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium red and/or green bell peppers, cut into thin, bite-size strips
- 2 medium fresh jalapeño chile peppers, seeded and cut into thin, bite-size strips (see Tip)
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Step 1 Combine corn and just enough water to cover in a small saucepan. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 3 minutes; drain well.
- Step 2 Whisk together red-wine vinegar, oil, oregano, salt, and ground pepper in a large bowl. Add corn, black beans, bell peppers, chile peppers, and scallions; toss to coat. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours.
Tip: Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Serving Size: 1/2 CupPer Serving:89 calories; protein 4g 8% DV; carbohydrates 15g 5% DV; exchange other carbs 1; dietary fiber 3g 12% DV; fat 3g 5% DV; sodium 144mg 6% DV.Exchanges:
1 Starch, 1/2 Fat