Lemon-Broccoli Pasta with Parmesan
This hearty pasta dish with bright, fresh flavour is ideal for busy weeknights. The Parmesan adds welcome saltiness and notes of umami and you get added texture from the slight crunch of broccoli and whole-wheat noodles. Add some shredded rotisserie chicken, grilled shrimp or crispy chickpeas to punch up the protein.
Carolyn Casner : EatingWell.com
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces whole-wheat rotini or farfalle pasta
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 ½ cups low-sodium vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli florets, thawed and coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice, or more to taste
- Step 1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add pasta, water, broth, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce heat to medium-high and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add broccoli and cook, stirring, until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan and lemon juice.
Serving Size: 1 1/3 CupsPer Serving:210 calories; protein 9.3g 19% DV; carbohydrates 23.9g 8% DV; exchange other carbs 1.5; dietary fiber 4.5g 18% DV; sugars 1.7g; fat 10.2g 16% DV; saturated fat 2.3g 11% DV; cholesterol 5.7mg 2% DV; vitamin a iu 743.5IU 15% DV; vitamin c 31.1mg 52% DV; folate 50.9mcg 13% DV; calcium 99.5mg 10% DV; iron 1.7mg 10% DV; magnesium 44.9mg 16% DV; potassium 257.1mg 7% DV; sodium 451.2mg 18% DV.