How To Make A Fulfilling Chicago-Inspired Italian Beef Sandwich
I tried the traditional Italian beef bun with French dipping bread with a little nod to the pulled pork bun. Instead of thinly sliced roast beef, I use beef stew, with apologies to my Chicago friends.
- 1 ½ pounds boneless beef chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth, or as needed
- 4 ciabatta rolls, sliced in half
- 1 cup chopped giardiniera (pickled Italian vegetables)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Step 1 Season beef with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Heat vegetable oil in a heavy pot over high heat. Cook and stir beef in hot oil until browned, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Step 2 Stir garlic, vinegar, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, thyme, rosemary, 1 teaspoon black pepper, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes into beef. Pour enough chicken broth into beef mixture to cover the meat by 1 inch and bring to a simmer.
- Step 3 Cover pot with a lid, reduce heat to low, and simmer until meat is fork-tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Step 4 Transfer meat with a strainer or slotted spoon to a separate pot; pour about 1/4 cup of meat broth into pot. Use a wooden spoon to gently break meat into smaller chunks. Cover pot with a lid or aluminum foil and keep warm.
- Step 5 Skim excess grease from top of broth remaining in the first pot; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover pot with a lid or aluminum foil and keep broth warm.
- Step 6 Lay halves of a roll out on a work surface and spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons meat broth over each half. Top bottom half of roll with a generous portion of meat and a spoonful of pickled vegetables. Place tops on sandwich. Repeat with remaining buns, broth, meat, and pickled vegetables to make 3 more sandwiches.
- Step 7 Spoon hot meat broth into ramekins and top each ramekin with 1/2 teaspoon parsley. Serve sandwiches with hot broth for dipping.
Per Serving: 406 calories; protein 29.3g; carbohydrates 35.7g; fat 15.7g; cholesterol 78.7mg; sodium 1398.8mg.
LIGE 2023 New Smart Watch Men Full Touch Screen Sport Fitness Watch IP67 Waterproof Bluetooth For Android ios smartwatch Men+box – AliExpress – Color : Black – Ships From : SPAINbuy product
【New Medical Electrotherapy】 ECG Smart Watch for Men Blood Glucose Blood Pressure Body Temperature Healthy Smartwatch Women 2023 – AliExpress – Color : Blue – Ships From : China – Size : Lbuy product
【New Medical Electrotherapy】 ECG Smart Watch for Men Blood Glucose Blood Pressure Body Temperature Healthy Smartwatch Women 2023 – AliExpress – Color : Black – Ships From : China – Size : Lbuy product