How to Choose a Mountain Bike by Price
Choosing the right mountain bike for your ride is key if you want to get the most out of the trails, but finding the right machine in a crowded market can be a minefield.
You can use the links below to skip to the relevant posts
- Hardtail vs full suspension.
- How much MTB suspension travel do I need?
- What wheel size should I choose?
- Mountain bike wheels explained
- Which frame material is best?
- How to choose a mountain bike by price
- Different types of mountain bikes explained
- What size mountain bike do I need?
- What else do I need to go mountain biking?
What to consider when buying a mountain bike
What type of riding do you do?
As an example, Enduro bikes are great for descending at speed but might be overkill for trail riding.
It’s important to be clear early on which routes you plan to ride and what kind of terrain you want to ride the bike on.
This will help you decide which category of bike you need, from a lightweight, short-travel cross-country bike to a sturdy, chunky downhill road bike.
We’ll cover each of these in detail later – you can skip ahead to our section on the different types of mountain bike – otherwise, let’s start at the very beginning.