My favorite grilled cheese sandwiches have changed just like me! It has ice and three different cheeses. Just by eating, you feel so grown up.
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices white American cheese
- 4 thin slices of tomato
- ½ avocado, thinly sliced (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch garlic salt, or to taste
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- Step 1 Preheat skillet on medium heat.
- Step 2 Spread 1/2 tablespoon butter onto one side of each slice of bread to cover evenly. With buttered sides of the bread facing out, layer 1 slice of American cheese, 2 slices of tomato, and 2 slices of avocado onto each of 2 of the bread slices. Sprinkle about half the basil, red pepper flakes, and garlic salt atop the avocado layer. Finish by topping each with half the mozzarella and 1 slice of provolone. Top each with 1 of the remaining bread slices with the buttered side facing out.
- Step 3 Cook in the hot skillet until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side.