Just want to help diabetics.By nina myers vegetable oil cooking spray1 ⅔ cups all-purpose flour2 ½ teaspoons baking…
Chinese five-spice powder, soy sauce and brown
sugar make a quick glaze for tilapia. You’ll need a skillet that is 12 inches or larger to accommodate the pound of tilapia fillets–if you don’t have one large enough, use 2 smaller skillets instead or cook them in two separate batches, using more oil as necessary.
- 1 pound tilapia fillets
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder (see Tip)
- ¼ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 eaches scallions, thinly sliced
- Step 1 Sprinkle both sides of tilapia fillets with five-spice powder. Combine soy sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Step 2 Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tilapia and cook until the outer edges are opaque, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, turn the fish over, stir the soy mixture and pour into the pan. Bring the sauce to a boil and cook until the fish is cooked through and the sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes more. Add scallions and remove from the heat. Serve the fish drizzled with the pan sauce.
Tip: Five-spice powder is a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns. Look for it in the spice section at the market or with other Asian ingredients.
People with celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity should use soy sauces that are labeled “gluten-free,” as soy sauce may contain wheat or other gluten-containing sweeteners and flavors.
Per Serving:179.8 calories; protein 23.9g 48% DV; carbohydrates 9.4g 3% DV; exchange other carbs 0.5; dietary fiber 0.4g 2% DV; sugars 6.9g; fat 5.6g 9% DV; saturated fat 0.9g 5% DV; cholesterol 56.7mg 19% DV; vitamin a iu 112.2IU 2% DV; vitamin c 2.1mg 4% DV; folate 34.5mcg 9% DV; calcium 33.4mg 3% DV; iron 1.5mg 8% DV; magnesium 38.9mg 14% DV; potassium 411.4mg 12% DV; sodium 596mg 24% DV; thiamin 0.1mg 6% DV; added sugar 9g.Exchanges:
1 Other Carbohydrate, 3 Lean Meat, 1 Fat