A wonderful thick Creamy Italian dressing Ingredients 1 cup mayonnaise½ small onion2 tablespoons red wine…
Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
This creamy cauliflower mash makes a perfect low-carb stand-in for mashed potatoes. Here we take simple mashed cauliflower and mix in garlic, buttermilk and a touch of butter to create a flavorful side dish that has about one-quarter of the calories of typical mashed potatoes. If you like, vary it by adding shredded low-fat cheese or chopped fresh herbs.
- 8 cups bite-size cauliflower florets (about 1 head)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- ⅓ cup nonfat buttermilk (see Tip)
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Snipped fresh chives for garnish
- Step 1 Place cauliflower florets and garlic in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover and steam until very tender, 12 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place florets and garlic in a microwave-safe bowl with 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on High for 3 to 5 minutes.)
- Step 2 Place the cooked cauliflower and garlic in a food processor. Add buttermilk, 2 teaspoons oil, butter, salt and pepper; pulse several times, then process until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a serving bowl. Drizzle with the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and garnish with chives, if desired. Serve hot.
Tip: No buttermilk? You can use buttermilk powder prepared according to package directions. Or make “sour milk”: mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk.
Serving Size: 3/4 Cup Per Serving: 107 calories; protein 4.5g; carbohydrates 10.1g; dietary fiber 4.3g; sugars 4.8g; fat 6.5g; saturated fat 1.4g; cholesterol 2.9mg; vitamin a iu 53.5IU; vitamin c 86.9mg; folate 85.5mcg; calcium 41.2mg; iron 0.7mg; magnesium 18.4mg; potassium 294mg; sodium 338.8mg; thiamin 0.1mg. Exchanges:
2 Vegetable, 1 1/2 Fat
By EatingWell Test Kitchen