Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
Coleslaw is one of my all-time favourite foods if it has a nice, creamy dressing. After doing some research, making dozens of different dressings, and trying to find the flavour that I like, I came up with this dressing for coleslaw that became a hit. I’m always asked for this recipe. What surprised me was at a potluck when a culinary chef asked me for my recipe. He told me that it was one of the best he had ever tasted since he had left the southern part of the USA.
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons low-fat milk
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic and herb seasoning blend (such as Mrs. Dash®)
- ½ teaspoon celery seed, crushed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Step 1 Whisk mayonnaise, buttermilk, sugar, milk, lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and herb seasoning blend, celery seed, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl until smooth and creamy. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.
My vegetables for coleslaw are: 8 cups finely chopped cabbage, 1/4 cup shredded carrot, 1/4 cup thinly sliced red radish, 2 whole green onions or 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced. Mix cabbage, carrots, red radishes, and onions. Stir dressing in to your vegetables and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. We like it better if I let it sit overnight; it becomes even creamier and better-tasting.
Carbohydrates: 7g2 %Exchange Other Carbs: 0.5Dietary Fiber: 0gSugars: 6.3gFat: 11g17 %Saturated Fat: 1.7g9 %Cholesterol: 5.2mg2 %Vitamin A Iu: 45.5IU1 %Niacin Equivalents: 0.1mg1 %Vitamin B6: 0.1mg5 %Vitamin C: 1.9mg3 %Folate: 1.8mcg1 %Calcium: 19.8mg2 %Iron: 0.1mg1 %Magnesium: 2.5mg1 %Potassium: 29.4mg1 %Sodium: 179.4mg7 %Thiamin: 0mg1 %Calories From Fat: 98.8Percent Of Calories From Carbs: 21Percent Of Calories From Fat: 76Percent Of Calories From Protein: 1Percent Of Calories From Sat Fat: 11