Chef John’s Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
Jump To Healthy Eating Recipes : Breakfast | Dinner | Salad | Snack | Smoothies | Lunch | Low Fat | Quick Bites | Vegetarian | Vegan | Sauces | Kids Recipes | Desserts | Pancakes | Pizza | Salad Dressings | Sandwiches | Vegetable Salads | Energy Bars | Ice Cream | Coffee
A cheese grater and a wedge of frozen blue cheese is the secret behind a perfect creamy blue cheese dressing. Those larger chunks sink to the bottom and don’t become one with sauce as they do with grated cheese.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon white sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 ounces frozen blue cheese, grated
- Step 1 Place mayonnaise, sour cream, and buttermilk in a bowl. Add garlic, black pepper, dry mustard, salt, sugar, cayenne, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk together thoroughly.
- Step 2 Mix grated blue cheese into the cream base a little at a time to ensure it is evenly incorporated and doesn’t clump.
- Step 3 Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours (preferably overnight) to consolidate the flavors.
Using this technique produces a dressing exploding with the funky goodness of whichever blue-veined cheese you decide to use. I used a Maytag blue cheese, but any of the world’s great blues, like Roquefort or Stilton, will work beautifully. I hope you give this great method a try soon. Enjoy!
Protein: 3.4g7 %Carbohydrates: 2.6g1 %Dietary Fiber: 0gSugars: 1.1gFat: 21.5g33 %Saturated Fat: 6.5g33 %Cholesterol: 23.1mg8 %Vitamin A Iu: 259.3IU5 %Niacin Equivalents: 0.8mg7 %Vitamin B6: 0.1mg8 %Vitamin C: 0.5mg1 %Folate: 7.3mcg2 %Calcium: 92.8mg9 %Iron: 0.2mg1 %Magnesium: 6.5mg2 %Potassium: 83.3mg2 %Sodium: 363.8mg15 %Thiamin: 0mg2 %Calories From Fat: 193.3
By Chef John