Cauliflower, Green Pea and New Potato Salad
Your classic potato salad gets a bit of an update with the addition of crisp-tender cauliflower and fresh peas. Topped with a vinegar-mustard dressing, crumbled bacon and toasted pine nuts, this dish is the perfect choice for a summer barbecue.
- 1 pound tiny new potatoes, halved and/or quartered
- ½ cup fresh peas
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar (see Tip)
- ½ teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups small purple, orange, or regular cauliflower florets
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 6 slices lower-sodium, less-fat bacon, crisp-cooked and coarsely crumbled
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- Step 1 In a covered large saucepan cook potatoes in enough boiling water to cover 12 to 15 minutes or just until tender, adding peas the last 2 to 3 minutes of cooking; drain.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together the white wine vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Step 3 In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add cauliflower and onion; cook 5 to 8 minutes or until cauliflower is browned and crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in vinegar mixture and bacon. Gently stir in potatoes; heat through. To serve, top with pine nuts and parsley.
Tips: If using a sugar substitute, we recommend Splenda(R) Sugar Blend. Follow package directions to use product amount equivalent to 2 teaspoons sugar. Nutrition Per Serving with Substitute: Same as below, except 127 cal., 14 g carb. (3 g sugars).
To toast pine nuts, spread in a shallow baking pan lined with parchment paper. Bake in a 350 degrees F oven for 5 to 7 minutes or until golden, shaking pan once or twice.
Serving Size: 3/4 Cup Per Serving:129 calories; protein 4.2g 8% DV; carbohydrates 14.6g 5% DV; exchange other carbs 1; dietary fiber 2.5g 10% DV; sugars 3.5g; fat 6.1g 9% DV; saturated fat 1g 5% DV; cholesterol 2.5mg 1% DV; vitamin a iu 114.5IU 2% DV; vitamin c 28mg 47% DV; folate 40.8mcg 10% DV; calcium 20.3mg 2% DV; iron 0.9mg 5% DV; magnesium 27.8mg 10% DV; potassium 427.7mg 12% DV; sodium 155.4mg 6% DV.Exchanges:
1 Fat, 1 Starch, 1/2 Vegetable