An unlikely pairing of grapes and broccoli creates an out-of-the-ordinary quick side dish. The sweet…
Broccoli & Cauliflower Salad
This festive holiday salad recipe features plenty of oven-roasted broccoli and cauliflower combined with massaged kale. Why massage the kale? It helps tenderise the leaves and infuses the sweet-tangy flavour of the dressing directly into the heart of this healthy winter salad.
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1 ½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 8 cups chopped lacinato kale (from 1 large bunch)
- ½ cup dried cherries
- 1 cup shaved manchego cheese (about 2 ounces)
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted pecans
- Step 1 Place a rimmed baking sheet on the middle oven rack. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine cauliflower and broccoli in a large bowl. Add 2 tablespoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper; toss well to coat. Spread on the preheated baking sheet and roast, turning once halfway through, until tender and golden brown, about 12 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, whisk vinegar, mustard, honey and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add kale and use your hands to massage the dressing into the leaves until they are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the roasted vegetables along with cherries, cheese and pecans; gently toss to combine.
Serving Size: About 1 1/2 Cups Per Serving:259 calories; protein 8.4g 17% DV; carbohydrates 23.2g 8% DV; exchange other carbs 1.5; dietary fiber 4.9g 20% DV; sugars 8.3g; fat 16.3g 25% DV; saturated fat 3.5g 17% DV; cholesterol 6.8mg 2% DV; vitamin a iu 15227.8IU 305% DV; vitamin c 167.3mg 279% DV; folate 57.1mcg 14% DV; calcium 176.2mg 18% DV; iron 2.3mg 13% DV; magnesium 24.4mg 9% DV; potassium 301.8mg 9% DV; sodium 321mg 13% DV; thiamin 0.1mg 9% DV; added sugar 1g.Exchanges:
2 1/2 Fat, 2 1/2 Vegetable, 1/2 Fruit