Beet & Goat Cheese Salad
Quick Link to Healthy Eating Recipes : Breakfast | Dinner | Salad | Snack | Smoothies | Lunch | Low Fat | Quick Bites | Vegetarian | Vegan | Sauces | Kids Recipes | Desserts
Visit us on Facebook : Tropical fish cafe please like, or join Tropical Fish Cafe Group if you are a foodie and into health and fitness.
This stunning winter salad gets its sweet, earthy flavour from roasted beets and balsamic vinegar. Creamy goat cheese and peppery arugula add colour and balance, while toasted walnuts add crunch. With even slices from the roasted beets.
- 1 pound red beets, trimmed
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar, divided
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place a large piece of foil on a rimmed baking sheet; place beets in the center of the foil. Gather the sides of the foil up to make a packet; pour in 1/2 cup vinegar and seal the packet. Roast until the beets are very tender when pierced with a knife, about 45 minutes. Open the foil packet; let cool for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, bring the remaining 1/2 cup vinegar to a boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, without stirring, until reduced to about 3 tablespoons, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat (the mixture will thicken as it cools).
- Step 3 When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel them, then slice very thinly with a knife or a mandoline. Arrange the sliced beets, overlapping slightly, on a platter.
- Step 4 Toss arugula with oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; arrange on top of the beets. Sprinkle with goat cheese and walnuts; drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
Serving Size: 1 1/2 CupsPer Serving:225 calories; protein 6.2g 12% DV; carbohydrates 23.3g 8% DV; exchange other carbs 1.5; dietary fiber 3.9g 16% DV; sugars 17.7g; fat 11.5g 18% DV; saturated fat 3g 15% DV; cholesterol 3.9mg 1% DV; vitamin a iu 466.4IU 9% DV; vitamin c 7.4mg 12% DV; folate 143.9mcg 36% DV; calcium 82.1mg 8% DV; iron 2mg 11% DV; magnesium 53.4mg 19% DV; potassium 521.7mg 15% DV; sodium 316.9mg 13% DV; thiamin 0.1mg 8% DV.Exchanges:
2 1/2 Fat, 2 Vegetable, 1/2 Medium-Fat Protein