Beef Tenderloin with Ginger-Shiitake Brown Butter
- 4 (8 ounce) filet mignon steaks
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- ½ cup thinly sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese sweet wine)
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic chives
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Step 2 Season filets to taste with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a heavy, oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat until it begins to smoke. Sear steaks until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer steaks to preheated oven, and cook for about 10 minutes, or to desired doneness. When the steaks are done, set aside to rest in a warm place while finishing the sauce.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and ginger, cook gently until fragrant and translucent, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add the shiitake mushrooms and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and cook until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour in sake and mirin; reduce by half.
- Step 4 Stir in remaining 1/2 cup of butter. Once melted, reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook until the butter turns a dark golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in chives. Serve sauce over steaks.
Protein: 64.9g130 %Carbohydrates: 5.2g2 %Exchange Other Carbs: 0.5Dietary Fiber: 0.3g1 %Sugars: 3.2gFat: 56g86 %Saturated Fat: 27.7g139 %Cholesterol: 260.9mg87 %Vitamin A Iu: 1008.1IU20 %Niacin Equivalents: 25.4mg196 %Vitamin B6: 1.4mg88 %Vitamin C: 1.7mg3 %Folate: 24.7mcg6 %Calcium: 55.3mg6 %Iron: 4.5mg25 %Magnesium: 56.6mg20 %Potassium: 842.6mg24 %Sodium: 481.4mg19 %Thiamin: 0.3mg30 %Calories From Fat: 504.4Percent Of Calories From Carbs: 2Percent Of Calories From Fat: 62Percent Of Calories From Protein: 32Percent Of Calories From Sat Fat: 30
By Ryan Nomura