Authentic Thousand Island Dressing
Many variations of this recipe exist, but this version has been a favourite in Alexandria Bay, NY (the Heart of The Thousand Islands) for nearly 50 years.
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 quart mayonnaise
- ¾ cup sweet pickle relish
- ½ cup chopped black olives
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- Step 1 Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring water to a boil and immediately remove from heat. Cover and let eggs stand in hot water for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from hot water, cool, peel and chop.
- Step 2 In a medium bowl, whisk together the chopped eggs, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, vinegar, cloves, mayonnaise, relish, olives and red pepper until evenly blended. Chill and serve spooned over fresh greens. Store in the refrigerator.
Protein: 1.8g4 %Carbohydrates: 8g3 %Exchange Other Carbs: 0.5Dietary Fiber: 0.4g2 %Sugars: 5.4gFat: 45.2g70 %Saturated Fat: 6.9g35 %Cholesterol: 55.8mg19 %Vitamin A Iu: 506.9IU10 %Niacin Equivalents: 0.5mg4 %Vitamin B6: 0.3mg22 %Vitamin C: 6.7mg11 %Folate: 9.8mcg3 %Calcium: 18.4mg2 %Iron: 0.8mg4 %Magnesium: 3.7mg1 %Potassium: 66.9mg2 %Sodium: 499.4mg20 %Thiamin: 0mg1 %Calories From Fat: 406.4Percent Of Calories From Carbs: 7Percent Of Calories From Fat: 91Percent Of Calories From Protein: 1Percent Of Calories From Sat Fat: 13